Many Early Childhood Development Centres (ECD) in the Townships are desperately poor and housed in shacks. Our partner, SASDI, started a new program in 2012 to assist in turning the shacks to “chic.” This process is far less expensive that a full-on brick and mortar building and serves the same purpose.
For the program’s pilot, the following was completed:
– Two classrooms
– A functioning kitchen with electricity
– Functioning toilet facilities
– A safe play area.
– Fencing was erected around the ECD
– The city of Cape Town’s Social Development department deemed the ECD fit to register.
– Training took place with an Educational specialist.
For 2013, the goal is to transform one shack to chic and the goal for 2014 is to transform four shacks to chic